Skip to main content

And…Welcome to Alaska!!


Riding Day 28     June 27     

Dawson city, YT To Tok, AK

Ride Mileage :  200            Weather condition: Perfect 

Total Mileage :  6112


When the dream becomes reality …





What an awesome day! The weather was just perfect to do the Top of the World Hwy (TOW). It was not a long ride from a mileage standpoint but because it’s mostly gravel it takes a while and anyway you don’t want to rush it because it’s absolutely beautiful.
 I had first to cross the Yukon river, there is a 24/7 ferry that handles the crossing. I had to wait a bit because the ferry just left when I arrived.
While checking my video camera, I realized that the battery was dead and it would not recharge, so no more videos for now…







Not long after starting the TOW, I spotted a black bear in the middle of the road. I stopped on the side of the road just to give him time to disappear in the bushes but he didn’t want to move and was watching me. I didn’t really want to introduce myself even though he looked rather friendly but instead waited for a big truck that I just passed few minutes earlier to clear up the way.

The little black spot on the road is a black bear just 100 yards from me



The gravel road was just perfect today, but if it rains it becomes extremely slippery.


Somewhere on the road, I ran into John, the buddy I have been riding with for a couple of days. Yesterday he missed the intersection to Dawson and ended up in Tok instead. So we were logically going to cross our path somewhere today. Was nice to see him again.



Crossing the US border took less than 5 minutes 





In Tok, I found a basic cabin at the well known Thomson eagle claw motorcycle campground. Very cool place.


The shared kitchen 




Next Post
« Prev Post
Previous Post
Next Post »

Comments